The Future of Building Security: Emerging Technologies to Watch
Building security is more important than ever in today’s increasingly complex and ever-changing world. As new threats emerge, organisations must stay ahead by adopting the latest access control trends for 2023.
Traditional access control systems, like key cards and PIN codes, can no longer protect people and assets from sophisticated attacks. Today, organisations need more intelligent and adaptable solutions to detect and respond to threats in real time.
Here, we will discuss access control trends for 2023 and discuss how these technologies are helping organisations create a more secure and resilient environment.
Facial Recognition: How Does It Support and Enhance Building Security?
What Is Facial Recognition?
This technology can identify individuals by their facial features. It compares a live image of a person’s face to a database of known faces.
How Does Facial Recognition Work?
Facial recognition software typically uses a combination of AI and machine learning to identify faces. First, the software identifies key facial features like eyes, nose, mouth, and chin.
It then compares the distances between these features to those between the same features in the database of known faces.
Benefits Of Facial Recognition For Building Security
Facial recognition offers many benefits for building security, including:
- Increased security: Facial recognition can help to prevent unauthorised individuals from entering buildings and restricted areas.
- Convenience: Facial recognition can create a more seamless and convenient access control experience for employees and visitors.
- Real-time monitoring: Facial recognition systems can monitor people entering and leaving buildings in real time, which can help identify and respond quickly to potential threats.
Case Studies Of Facial Recognition Being Used In Building Security
Here are some other case studies of facial recognition for building security:
- The Dubai International Airport uses facial recognition to verify passengers’ identities and prevent unauthorised individuals from entering the airport.
- The Brøndby IF, the Danish Superliga football club, uses facial recognition to identify and prevent hooligans from entering the stadium.
- The Marriott International hotel chain uses facial recognition to allow guests to check in and out of their rooms without showing their ID cards.
The Role of AI In Enhancing Building Security
What Is AI-Powered Analytics?
Analytics powered by artificial intelligence, which is a form of data interpretation, leverages the capabilities of machine learning and AI to detect similar patterns and trends in data.
Control systems enhanced by AI can process diverse data sources such as video recordings, sensor readings, and access logs.
How Is AI-Powered Analytics Being Used For Building Security?
AI-powered analytics is being used for building security in several ways, including:
- To Detect And Prevent Unauthorised Access: AI-powered analytics can detect abnormal patterns in access control data, such as multiple failed login attempts or unauthorised access to restricted areas.
- To Identify And Respond To Security Threats: AI-powered analytics can identify security threats in real-time, such as people carrying weapons or loitering in restricted areas.
- To Improve The Efficiency Of Security Operations: AI-powered analytics can automate tasks such as generating reports and identifying trends in security data.
Benefits Of AI-Powered Analytics For Building Security
AI-powered analytics offers many benefits for building security, including:
- Improved Security: AI-powered analytics can help to improve building security by detecting and preventing unauthorised access and identifying and responding to security threats more quickly and effectively.
- Reduced Costs: AI-powered control systems can help reduce the costs of building security by automating tasks and improving the efficiency of security operations.
- Improved Operational Intelligence: AI-powered analytics can provide valuable insights into building security operations, which can be used to improve decision-making and resource allocation.
Case Studies Of AI-Powered Analytics Being Used In Building Security
Amazon uses AI-powered analytics to analyse video footage and identify potential safety hazards, such as people slipping and falling or objects being dropped.
Biometrics And Its Contribution In Enhancing Building Security
What Are Biometrics?
Biometrics refer to distinct physical or behavioural traits that can be utilised to distinguish individuals from one another with a high level of accuracy. Some common biometrics for building security include fingerprints, facial features, iris patterns, voice prints, and palm prints.
Different Types Of Biometrics Used For Building Security
The most common types of biometrics used for building security are fingerprints and facial features.
- Fingerprint scanners are relatively inexpensive, easy to use, and very accurate at identifying individuals.
- Facial recognition systems have become more accurate and affordable in recent years and are now used in various building security applications.
Other biometrics for building security include iris scanners, palm scanners, and voice recognition systems.
- Iris scanners are accurate but can be more expensive than other biometric systems.
- Palm scanners are relatively new, but they are becoming more popular because they are easy to use and can be used to identify individuals, even if their hands are dirty or wet.
- Voice recognition systems can provide an additional layer of security but are less accurate than other biometric systems.
Benefits Of Biometrics For Building Security
Biometrics offer many benefits for building security, including:
- Increased Security: Biometrics are very difficult to forge, which makes them an effective way to prevent unauthorised access to buildings and restricted areas.
- Convenience: Biometric systems are easy to use and do not require individuals to carry any access cards or other identification.
- Speed: Biometric systems can quickly and accurately identify individuals, which can help to reduce queues at building entrances and other security checkpoints.
Emerging technologies such as facial recognition, biometrics, and AI-powered analytics are revolutionising building security. These technologies offer several benefits, including increased security, convenience, and speed.
As building security technology continues to advance, we can anticipate the emergence of new and more efficient methods to safeguard people and valuable assets.